Computer Forums

Computer Forums (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/index.php)
-   Building Websites (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The one necessity? (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688)

Rogue 03-08-2006 12:12 PM

The one necessity?

What is the absolute first piece of hardware that I should get for my server? I still debating between a Reseller and building my own Dedicated Server to start a web hosting company...

What is the first thing I should get that is an absolute necessity? Besides of course all the essentials - I'm talking more for add on and modifications...and how much will these things run me?

Soulwatcher 03-08-2006 12:46 PM

Well if you plan on building it over a certain period of time. I would buy the motherboard and processor first. What kind of server do you plan on building? (dual/single processor ect) What are you going to use it for?

Emperior Eric 03-08-2006 08:19 PM

I would say make sure you do plenty of research and are sure of what you want when you get it. I am currently researching everything about building my own server and there is a lot to learn before actually getting started.

Soulwatcher 03-08-2006 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emperior Eric
I would say make sure you do plenty of research and are sure of what you want when you get it. I am currently researching everything about building my own server and there is a lot to learn before actually getting started.

Emperior Eric you make a very good point. I had allot of problems building my first 1u server. Nothing wanted to fit. (had to use the die grinder :eek: ) And on top of that it didn't like kernel 2.6. There was a fix for it, but I didn't have the patience to get it working. I sold it and built the server we are using now.

I didn't mess around with the server we are using now. I researched every part to make sure everything was going to fit. And this time I built a tower. The data center that we use takes towers or rack mounts. I choose a Intel LGA 775 processor. They run really hot, I could have crammed it into a 1u. But it probably would have had over heating problems.

Not only that I researched what kind of server I would need to support 300+ users on the server at the same time. And I came up with, that I would need at least a P4 3.0GHZ with 2GB of ram. So in theory this server can support 300+ users at the same time. Hopefully one day we will be able to test that theory. ;) So as Emperior Eric said "research the server you want to build".

Emperior Eric 03-10-2006 06:31 PM

I am definitely trying to do my homework. I am finding this site to be a great resource for that. As long as people like me are able to keep coming here for help I am sure you will get to test the 300+ users at a time :D

Julian 03-11-2006 11:34 PM

I have thought about owning my own web hosting company as well, but I was unknowledgable as to where to start. But like Eric, I'm learning.

Rogue 03-13-2006 06:44 AM

Soul, that sounds like a nightmare! Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll definitely be doing my homework...or I might just go with a VPS so it's a bit easier.