Computer Forums

Computer Forums (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/index.php)
-   Building Websites (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Which DNS server do you use? (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644)

Durinthiam 03-01-2006 02:33 PM

Which DNS server do you use?

I've always used no-ip for servers, at the moment im not paying for the .com no-ip im just using a generic no-ip.info DNS but i've always found them to be of a high standard and excellent quality.

Soulwatcher 03-01-2006 02:49 PM

I have bind on the server, its installed but not working. I prefer to use a paid DNS service. For my DNS service I use DNS made easy. They offer you top notch DNS service for $59.99 a year. You get 25 domain names and 10 million DNS quires per month. They also give you 5 DNS servers that are placed at different location all around the world. Its very useful if your website goes down, you can redirect it to another server in minutes.:cool:

QBall15j 03-01-2006 03:15 PM

Right now I'm just using the DNS service Godaddy.com provides. I've used www.zoneedit.com and www.dnsexit.com in the past, both are very reliable. Only issue I have with ZoneEdit is their website being unreachable at times but their DNS servers are rock solid on the other hand. I can't really comment on DNSeXit.com, didn't use them for too long before switching to Godaddy's. Reason I switched over to Godaddy is so I would have everything in one place and since I colocated my server it has static IPs, so I didn't need dynamic DNS updates ability either.

Soulwatcher 03-01-2006 03:23 PM

I didnt know godaddy offered a DNS service. How much do they charge for that?

QBall15j 03-01-2006 03:27 PM

Absolutely nothing, its free with every domain.
Set your nameservers back to the default parked nameservers (I think), it could be their hosting nameservers I can't remember exactly but then will see a entry on those blue 'tabs' called Total DNS Control.

Soulwatcher 03-01-2006 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QBall15j
Absolutely nothing, its free with every domain.
Set your nameservers back to the default parked nameservers (I think), it could be their hosting nameservers I can't remember exactly but then will see a entry on those blue 'tabs' called Total DNS Control.

That's so awesome, I had no idea they offered that service. And the price is right too. FREE it just doesn't get any cheaper than that. I will remember that next time I buy a new domain from godday.

Ronin 03-01-2006 09:57 PM

But is the service at godaddy good?
Do their DNS servers have much downtime?

Their hosting is reliable, so I'm hoping their DNS is just as good.

Durinthiam 03-01-2006 11:46 PM

Cheers for that bit of information Qball, I take it you found that by shear luck when you deleted the nameservers by accident? :p Very handy to know when I endulge in my next business venture after project ... X

QBall15j 03-02-2006 03:43 AM

I haven't heard to many good things about their hosting but DNS has been very reliable, no downtime that I know of.

Jason 03-02-2006 06:03 AM

Well as the thead subject asked, I use bind on my servers.