Computer Forums

Computer Forums (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/index.php)
-   Geek Stuff (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Most popular major at your school? (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330)

Scandia 06-10-2006 06:19 AM

Most popular major at your school?

What were the most common academic majors at your school?

The most popular one at UF was finance, followed by psychology.

The most popular one at USF was some kind of engineering or business.

swivel1963 06-10-2006 07:38 AM

engineering.

ruaalien2 06-10-2006 09:15 AM

Culinary...what else? Everyone assumes everyone that goes to JWU is a culinary student!

After that, it would be something in the Hospitality College, just not sure which one.

KLPDaisy 06-10-2006 09:50 AM

*Fashion (merchandising and design)

*Psych (usually combined with special ed)

*Criminal Justice

*Anything in the School of Communications

DSTRen13 06-10-2006 10:06 AM

Mechanical Engineering.

JocelynC 06-10-2006 10:28 AM

Kent State's Top 5:

1. Education (Early, Middle, or Secondary)
2. Fashion (either design or merchandising)
3. Nursing
4. Business
5. Interior Design

sigtau305 06-10-2006 10:32 AM

Cleveland State's top majors

Urban Studies
Business
Engineering
social work

Jubilance 06-10-2006 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSTRen13
Mechanical Engineering.

I thought it was EE? :confused:

At my undergrad (which has every major ever invented) the two most popular colleges were the engineering college and the business college.

DeltAlum 06-10-2006 03:33 PM

This is a little like asking what is the best GLO. It's pretty subjective.

Ohio University has a huge number of majors, but I would say at least two of the favorites are Journalsim (Scripps School) and Telecommunications (Radio and TV).

Both are among the biggest and the best in the country.

I think that is because they are separate schools within the Scripps College of Communication. A lot of schools (probably a majority) lump them together.

They really are separate disclplines.

flirt5721 06-10-2006 03:57 PM

At NMSU it would be
Engineering
and
Business

Scandia 06-10-2006 03:59 PM

Popularity can be measured objectively by numbers. Coolness on the other hand, is totally subjective. A cool person or thing may not be popular, and vice-versa.

Someone I know did mix up both terms. There was some meme on LJ that measured how popular a user was. Well he was complaining about the validity of an instrument that tried to measure how cool a person was.

sopi_jawbreaker 06-10-2006 04:02 PM

I think at Penn State, it's probably the engineering and business majors...and maybe also IST. Or it could just be that a lot of my friends were these majors and my perception is a little skewed.

DeltAlum 06-10-2006 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucfpnm
He asked what was the most popular, which would be a number, so it's objective.

My dad went to OU, I love that school. I'm pretty sure journalism actually is the most popular major there.

Not necessarily on the numbers thing. Some progrms have numbers caps on the number of students who can be admitted.

I agree that numbers can be an indication, but can't be the only criteria.

Good for your dad -- it is a terriffic school.

DSTRen13 06-10-2006 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubilance
I thought it was EE? :confused:

I assumed that the biggest major was going to be in the School of Engineering, so I only looked at their website, but upon further inspection:

"For Fall 2005, the most populated undergraduate majors were, in order, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Management, and Industrial and Systems Engineering." (from some general GT website)

Agdee 06-10-2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltAlum
Not necessarily on the numbers thing. Some progrms have numbers caps on the number of students who can be admitted.

I agree that numbers can be an indication, but can't be the only criteria.

Good for your dad -- it is a terriffic school.

That's what I was thinking. The Occupational Therapy program that I was in at EMU was one of the university's best programs.. highly ranked nationally, but they only took 50 students a term. So, there were many aspiring OTs, but not many made it in. The other biggie at Eastern Michigan was education, especially Special Ed. However, they get a lot of Business students too. When I interviewed for admission to the Masters of Clinical Psychology there, one of the interviewers simply said "You had this GPA in our OT program? You'll have no problem in this clinical psych program" and spent the rest of the interview just telling me what to expect. So, the OT program was highly respected.

ETA: My son (at age 10) is currently aspiring to go to OU for a double major in meterology and telecommunications. He wants to be Jim Cantore.

AngelPhiSig2 06-10-2006 10:57 PM

At Clarion Id have to say that the most popular is Education...

After that Id say Communication, Theatre and Business...

DeltaEtaKP 06-10-2006 11:20 PM

1. Communications
2. Psychology
3. Education

shinerbock 06-10-2006 11:26 PM

I imagine ours would be Finance, Business Admin and Poli Sci.

Stef the Pef 06-11-2006 04:13 AM

There's a ton of pre-med students at Baylor, but that's not a major and most of them seem to drop that by the end of Freshman year.

Aside from...all those sciencey things...there are a ton of business majors here. Education is also big.

Greekopedia 06-11-2006 06:10 PM

I'm from UF too... what about Poli Sci?

Scandia 06-12-2006 05:54 AM

UF has a law school.

I do not remember how popular Political Science was. I do not think it was in the top 3 majors.

DeltAlum 06-12-2006 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agdee
That's what I was thinking. The Occupational Therapy program that I was in at EMU was one of the university's best programs.. highly ranked nationally, but they only took 50 students a term.

As I continue to think about this, I seems to me that many of the most popular majors have a cap on the number of students -- otherwise they would be overwhelmed with numbers.

Every school (meaning school within a college or university) that our son was accepted into had a cap of about 15 new students per year-- but had hundreds of applicants. They were all performance based and had highly competitive auditions for entrance.

So, again, I don't think simple numbers can suggest which major is the "most popular."

AGDee -- Telecommunications (TCOM) at Ohio has long been considered on of the best in the country, and I believe is fairly selective -- even though they have over 700 majors (there are several sub-majors within the TCOM school). I've never heard much about meteorology there, though.

Scandia 06-12-2006 09:09 AM

UF had several limited access majors:

- Physical Therapy: it had the highest standards to get into at all. A professor described it as the highest major. I had not even heard of it before going to UF, but boy did many people want to go into it.

- Health and Human Performance: including Exercise and Sport Sciences, Health Science Education, and Recreation Parks Tourism. You had to write a letter of intent in order to be admitted.

- Psychology: GPA restrictions.

- Nursing: not so much restricted access, but the fact that it was extreeeemely hard.

Pessimist Null 06-12-2006 01:43 PM

not theatre

KatieKate1244 06-12-2006 03:43 PM

Despite going to an engineering school:

Nursing
Printing
ACE (Athletic Coaching Education)

Agdee 06-12-2006 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltAlum

AGDee -- Telecommunications (TCOM) at Ohio has long been considered on of the best in the country, and I believe is fairly selective -- even though they have over 700 majors (there are several sub-majors within the TCOM school). I've never heard much about meteorology there, though.

It's a new major, started in 2000-01.

Rio 06-12-2006 10:14 PM

Most Popular:
Business
Communication
Education

Best Programs:
Education
Nursing
Social Work