Computer Forums

Computer Forums (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/index.php)
-   Linux Chat (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Linux vs. Windows (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1134)

niceextra 01-21-2009 05:43 AM

Linux vs. Windows

Well.. just decided to ask everyone about their opinion about Linux. Have you tried it, did you like it, etc.

I, personally, recently switched to Linux Mandrake 9.0 completely after checking it out and being amazed at the hardware support it gave me, it's clean look and feel and that I didn't have to be concerned about viruses or Windows sending information to Microsoft. No more Product Activation and all that Microsoft bulls**t for me.

Anybody else feel the same way?

Also, if you are interested take a look at this:

John 01-21-2009 03:58 PM

For webservers I prefer Linux. Linux makes great backup servers as well. I'm not sure sure that Linux can compete with Windows in the office server realm, though (where the server is used to manage profiles and permissions for users of an entire network/company, etc).

On the desktop, I think Linux is perfectly fine for computers that are intended for use mainly as Internet terminals but not really as a workstation. Windows still seems to be far ahead in terms of usability, software availability, etc.

I suppose they both have their pros and it just depends on what you will be using them for.

HostColor 02-14-2009 07:10 AM

I used to use SuSe on my PC, but then returned to Windows. Now I'm working on Mac and don't even think to go back to Windows. When it comes to enterprise solutions (web hosting, IT data management and etc.) I would say I'm OK with CentOS (I used Fedora Core... before). Windows increases the costs of producing web services and to maintain any kind of IT frameworks. The only thing that is probably cheaper for small businesseses is their new Hyper-V hypervisor that we can use as a Windows based virtualization technology. But if you want a full power you still have to purchase Windows Server 2008 (check this comparison - http://www.vpshostingdir.com/2009/02...gainst-vmware/).

So I vote for Linux :)

fast1 03-26-2009 02:21 AM

@HostColor nice post, I agree. Thanks for your information links.

http://photosnag.com/img/3322/n09x0302vnsn/clear.gif

Greg Taylor 05-01-2009 10:04 AM

I tried and used linux Suse before and true it is very neat, it might not be a user friend but it is fun to learn how to use it, beside it is not easily get virus. Well, Microsoft is widely used because of it is user friendly.

Chris 05-02-2009 12:21 PM

There is no question about what would win, imho Linux is far far better. Less security vulnerabilities, less virus contamination, A lot more usable.

And Windows just sucks.

nixies 06-16-2009 03:05 AM

I find the problem is a lot of the programme I want to use our built by small development company that don't create version for anything but windows because it the most main stream. I like the concept of Linxus and I used to be all fight the man! Now I just got use to my window haze.

Jason Bradley 08-21-2009 09:38 AM

Linux is cool

Yes, I completely agree with you. Linux is reliable, fast, supports all latest hardware, very less vulnerable to viruses & above all it doesn’t crash which Windows is completely deficient of. So Linux wins.

Chris 08-23-2009 11:34 PM

The way i see it... Pc's are like air conditioners when you open windows they both stop working...

nixies 08-24-2009 02:15 AM

The only real difference is normal people use linux and only terrorist use linux.
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/225...xterrorism.gif

~kev~ 09-06-2009 02:04 PM

Yes, I have tried several different flavors of Linux. I liked all of them, but I need something that can run games developed for windows.

The thing with linux, it needs to fully move away from the command prompt, compaines like dell need to offer a linux PC on their home page, and its needs to be able to run programs developed for windows. I think that is the main thing that is holding linux back.

Chris 09-19-2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~kev~
and its needs to be able to run programs developed for windows

Um Why?

That would kinda be like putting a Honda engine in a Mercedes its just plain stupid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~kev~
it needs to fully move away from the command prompt

Actually no it does not, If you have used linux you would know that everything you can do in cli can be done in a Desktop Environment like KDE or Gnome. You never really try linux until you experience CLI.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nixies
The only real difference is normal people use linux and only terrorist use linux.

That does not even make sense. If normal people used linux then it to would be plagued with viri and spyware, And as for terrorist its obvious that they use windows otherwise there would probably not be anything to drive them to terrorism. If i had to work on Windows all day i to would be a terrorist.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Bradley
Yes, I completely agree with you. Linux is reliable, fast, supports all latest hardware, very less vulnerable to viruses & above all it doesn’t crash which Windows is completely deficient of. So Linux wins.

I have nothing more to say, Just good words.

Quote:

I find the problem is a lot of the programme I want to use our built by small development company that don't create version for anything but windows

And what program is that, I am sure that if you were to use Google a little better you would find that there is a equal or better solution, And you probably would not have to worry about a virus crashing your system and loosing registration or license information because you had to PAY for the program that runs on windows. Linux is open source so the programs are open source.

Quote:

I like the concept of Linxus and I used to be all fight the man!

Sorry to hear that you lost interest in linux, but Microsoft is far from the man. More like a corporate entity that does not care about any of the people that have to buy his software. When you purchase you should at least get quality tech support not some guy reading a generalized manual in some mid eastern country that can hardly speak English let alone have any possibility of being understood by any American citizen or a citizen of any other country for that matter.

And at the end of all this i hope that no one has taken this personal, These are simply generalized answers or comments aimed at the quote not you as a person. Just because you use windows does not make you a bad person. And i leave you with this a quote that i have quoted from my SIG

Quote:

Originally Posted by alyssasdaddy
Windows has Written There Code to fail!! Save YourSelf.. Go Linux!!

imtheonetoo 08-11-2010 03:34 AM

As an operating system I prefer Windows over Linux on my desktop computer - allthough Linux is renowned for being more stable. When running webservers I always prefer Linux!

pascalfringe 11-25-2010 11:42 AM

Linus is better for sure. But there are many things . basic games etc which are dependent for windows.

Alonso30 11-25-2010 01:21 PM

windows is more user friendly

John23 02-02-2012 01:21 AM

Re:

The main "advantage" or distinction of Windows servers is that they can run Microsoft software such as Access and MS SQL databases. Windows servers also offer web developers the use of Microsoft's programming environments such as Active Server Pages (ASP), Visual Basic Scripts, MS Index Server.