Computer Forums

Computer Forums (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/index.php)
-   Geek Stuff (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Hand signs: "Throw down!" (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329)

ucfpnm 06-10-2006 02:27 AM

Hand signs: "Throw down!"

Senusret I 06-10-2006 05:21 AM

I have never seen handsigns for NPC orgs except on a greek para website, in which Kappa Delta was represented with index, middle finger, and thumb on the right hand, connecting the index and thumb on the left.

AlphaSigOU 06-10-2006 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucfpnm
What's the hand sign for Kappa? You know, like Pi Phi is pointing over the chest, and Alpha Xi is the letters X and I with the two intercrossed first fingers and then the pinkie of the right hand? Anyone have any pictures? I've never seen Kappa's.

And if anyone has any cool hand signs, feel free to share :D

Sorry. I don't think anyone's going to be able accomodate your request. In some fraternities and sororities, hand signs are a considered a private method of recognition between members. Actually few, if any, NIFC/NPC fraternities and sororities use such a recognition method.

swivel1963 06-10-2006 07:41 AM

Quote:

What's the hand sign for Kappa? You know, like Pi Phi is pointing over the chest, and Alpha Xi is the letters X and I with the two intercrossed first fingers and then the pinkie of the right hand? Anyone have any pictures? I've never seen Kappa's.

something that spells KD or something like that....i think.

Scandia 06-10-2006 07:47 AM

I have never heard of something like this. My GLO has a secret handshake, but that is the closest thing to it. And I know many GLOs do have secret handshakes- so that is not something that should surprise anyone.

carnation 06-10-2006 10:06 AM

I have never in my life heard that Pi Phi had a hand sign in the manner of the NPHCs.

KLPDaisy 06-10-2006 11:16 AM

AlphaSigOU is a guy.

flirt5721 06-10-2006 03:48 PM

Quote:

Or it is alway done with your pointer finger and middle finger crossed with you thumb and ring finger down and pinky up. And just for fun we would yell out "Xi Unit"

It's just a chapter thing. The hand sign has nothing to do with Nationals.

lilsunshine214 06-10-2006 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flirt5721
Or it is alway done with your pointer finger and middle finger crossed with you thumb and ring finger down and pinky up.

Isn't that Theta Nu Xi's official handsign?

flirt5721 06-10-2006 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilsunshine214

I honestly do not know. Some of the older members about 2yrs ago came up with our sign during greek week. Its just something we do for fun.

Stef the Pef 06-11-2006 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swivel1963
something that spells KD or something like that....i think.

Yup. We make a KD with our hands. I don't know if I'd call the NPC ones "hand signs," per se, but I know what you mean. I've always liked Zeta's--they make crowns with their hands.

Drolefille 06-11-2006 03:02 PM

Are there other NPC signs? I've never seen any either, even from the KDs on campus.

preciousjeni 06-11-2006 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilsunshine214

It certainly is! :)

Drolefille 06-12-2006 08:44 AM

Ok, after posting that I saw ADPis in my mom's Adelphian doing their diamond sign. Anyone else? Especially with pictures as I was having trouble understanding the Alpha Xi Delta one.

Pessimist Null 06-12-2006 11:45 AM

we had one, and a call, at a few chapters, it was more of regional thing that died down for us in the 30s.

I wish I knew what they were. I would use them. Daily.

BabyPink_FL 06-12-2006 01:09 PM

Phi Mu -we finally got something!

The girls from UF taught us how to make a "quatrefoil" with our hands at State Day 2006. It's cute, but difficult to do, especially in a hurry for pictures. :o

UCFalumna 06-12-2006 02:30 PM

Quote:

It's my understanding that Kappa does not have a nationally recognized hand sign. When I was in college and Kappa colonized at UCF, the rho gammas created a hand sign for them. I've seen it done as a K (similar to KD's, but minus the left hand/delta) or as a sign language "k". Although, I'm not a Kappa and I'm sure one of those lovely ladies could probably give you a more accurate answer.

-Knight Alumna

knightgal 06-12-2006 02:52 PM

well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation
I have never in my life heard that Pi Phi had a hand sign in the manner of the NPHCs.

Never??? Wow...that's kinda odd, but whatever, I guess you only notice it when you do webdesigning & such lol ...Pi Phi is probably one of the easiest to make just in time for pictures...the right hand with the pointer finger out with the thumb = "the arrow"

knightgal 06-12-2006 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drolefille
Are there other NPC signs? I've never seen any either, even from the KDs on campus.

There's a bunch others done with fingers formed like ZTA's crown, KD's K-Delta, AXiD's Xi, Theta's kite, ChiO's Chi-over-Omega, Tri-Delta's Delta, Pi Phi's arrow, ADPi's diamond, Kappa's K, AEPhi's heart...instead of fingers, DG does theirs with two arms together into an anchor

tomg 06-12-2006 04:47 PM

Really sounds complicated?

I know the Shocker, LXA's that is not sanctioned, and The Hawian Peace Sign.;)

Is some of them like the Light show going to shadows on the wall?

Well, women are more disjointed than men.

flirt5721 06-12-2006 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drolefille
Ok, after posting that I saw ADPis in my mom's Adelphian doing their diamond sign. Anyone else? Especially with pictures as I was having trouble understanding the Alpha Xi Delta one.

The way many chapters do it is that they cross their two pointer finger and have their pinkies out to sign Xi.

Or in the case of my chapter the middle and the pointer fingers are crossed to make the X and then the pinky is up to make the Xi as well. Its kinda like the R in sign language but with the pinky out.http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/flirt5721/r.gif. I can't find a picture but if I do I'll post it so you can see.

Drolefille 06-12-2006 07:36 PM

I get it now, thanks!

adpiucf 09-11-2006 09:11 PM

All of the UCF sororities have hand signs. Kappa was after my time, so I'm not sure what they went with.

One of my really good friends is a DDD and we figured out to make a diamond with one pair of our hands intertwined and a delta with the other. Talk about complicated!!! ZTA's hand sign looks incredibly complicated, but it's pretty easy once you get it!

AGDLynn 09-11-2006 09:33 PM

This sounds like too much of the game Twister except you are using your fingers instead of arms and legs.

As for Southern Alpha Gams, we just say "Hey!":)

SoCalGirl 09-11-2006 09:53 PM

This is what I was posting on the SK board when it went down!

University of New Orleans uses doves ~
http://www.sigmakappauno.photosite.c...0822083656.jpg

Where as UNLV uses hearts and triangles ~
http://www.unlv.edu/student_orgs/sks...site077011.jpg