Computer Forums

Computer Forums (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/index.php)
-   Geek Stuff (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Gmail, Yahoo or Hotmail ? (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223)

John2 05-06-2006 11:24 AM

Gmail, Yahoo or Hotmail ?

Hello buddies,
Which email servive do you use and why ?

I use all the three. I use hotmail email basicly just for MSN messenger. I use Yahoo and Gmail emails for messages. Mostly I use Gmail for business related contacts while I use Yahoo for my friends related communication.

What about you ?

Thanks,
John Wright.

cantstraferight 05-06-2006 11:47 AM

Just now im using my isps email address (tiscali)

Before that i used my domains email but it just expired and ive not had a chance to reregister.

Im going to be going back to gmail soon but ive just not got round to setting up a new acount.

Eminem 05-06-2006 12:46 PM

Good question.

I use hotmail.com as it's a good mailing system and has a user friendly interface. It's pretty professional and is very easy to use. As I use my MSN ID for chatting purposes too, it helps me when people need to contact me via email. I do use Yahoo!; however, I use it as an email address when filling surveys. :lol:

etali 05-13-2006 09:01 PM

I have a hotmail account that I just let fill up with spam. I had yahoo and gmail accounts but I can't stand either of their interfaces.

I usually just use the webmail that comes with my domain name - faster, cleaner interface, and much more mobile friendly.

fab 05-25-2006 09:15 PM

I set up my domain to forward mails to gmail, yahoo and hotmail. So I use them all! :D

But I usually use gmail web interface because I like the conversation view, I found it very convenient indeed. Hotmail always catches spam, no good. :evil:

liz 07-17-2006 05:09 AM

i use all 3 also, but Gmail is by far the best, its a lot faster and easier to use, and i like how its much more customisable.
the yahoo and hotmail spam filter doesnt seem to work too good either ;\

..::Apathy::.. 07-17-2006 05:19 AM

I mainly use the one that my ISP provides, either that or Gmail.

FaTTzZO 07-17-2006 09:37 AM

i use hotmail for messenger, yahoo for forums :P and gmail for messages.

in other words i use Gmail :D it is the best, since they use Ajax as the main web develop language, thats why it is faster.
the spam killer is not that good, but it is better than hotmail and yahoo.
you have 2745 MB for storage.
mobile interface is faster and friendly.
and the best... it doesnt have all that advertising, its annoying :S

Helan 03-12-2007 07:13 AM

I use Yahoo and gmail. But while saving the files and forwarding the attachement i prefer yahoo, since gmail doesnot support exe file.

Colorado 07-09-2008 03:41 AM

I have used both Gmail & Yahoo for years and i still give more preference to Yahoo! Its just that the messenger 9 interface of Yahoo is so deadly that i just love it. (Dont have Hotmail ID.)

Talking about spam, for me, i am not so much affected and that both are doing a great job.

I will say both are equally good, but then when it comes to looks and interface, 1 point more to Yahoo!

prijikn 09-22-2008 06:01 AM

I use yahoo and gmail . it is safe because those site are very genuine and world class so.

darren_1299 09-30-2008 07:06 AM

i have used yahoo and gmail, but find gmail is not stable

shilpamg 11-17-2008 05:14 AM

i am using gmail and yahoo from last 7 years.
even i have 6 gmail-ids and 2 yahoo-ids.

filterstb 11-17-2008 04:17 PM

Wow, has Gmail been around that long? It seems only a couple of years ago they were giving out invites.

Anyway, I use Gmail because it has a lot of space, it's easy to search through conversations, and you have that built in chat feature too which can come in handy. Only a couple of times it's been unreliable, when a few of my mails ended up in the trash for no reason that I can understand.

positionresearch 12-11-2008 03:14 PM

For e mail I use gmail. It can't be beat when it comes to space, spam protection, and general features. The Google docs are especially helpful for managing things like timesheets online. However, I also use Yahoo, though mostly for entertainment purposes--playing games online etc. Hotmail I abandoned years ago due to spam.

awarepoint 12-15-2008 04:43 PM

I use Gmail and it's very convenient. But honestly, I'm starting to explore other options, and I may get away from web-based mail. Google is known to snoop on personal information and give the gov't info too...who knows who's reading my Gmail...

sara_criss 12-17-2008 03:18 PM

i would like to prefer gmail, well i have account on yahoo and hotmail also

John 12-17-2008 03:27 PM

I primarily use email addresses on my own domain names, for example: my username here +geekboards.com is one of the addresses I use for GB. But I do have a gmail address. I use that for various email newsletters that I signup for. This way it keeps my work related addresses clear of those emails and they are all in the central place, in my gmail account, for when I want to read them.

Yahoo & Hotmail also seem to have good services as well.

awarepoint1 12-23-2008 10:50 AM

THroughout my life I've used all three, but now I exclusively use gmail. This is because, no matter what I tried, my yahoo and hotmail accounts always filled with spam. Now I use gmail, don't worry about spam, and also have unlimited space! Gchat is also cool!

alex404 01-04-2009 08:59 PM

I am using both yahoo and gmail but both has lots of spams too.

sam1 01-07-2009 09:15 PM

I use all of them.. but the most is gmail... however yahoo has the facility to stort mails into specific folders.. whhich i like the most.

miinet11 01-08-2009 10:06 AM

I find gmail to be far superior to yahoo and hotmail, with a yahoo coming in a distant second. I just prefer gmail because of its better spam blocker, unlimited space, and gchat functions. Also, google docs are extremely helpful for a number of different purposes.

onetouchgt 01-08-2009 01:50 PM

I like to use gmail as a business account, and yahoo for my personal e mails. This way I can easily sort which e mails I want going to which account, and which account to check at appropriate times. The reason I use the yahoo account as my fun account is because its linked to all of my yahoo games and fantasy sports.

hiointernat 01-09-2009 03:18 PM

I have a similar set up. I use my web server for my "personal" address - though by now I end up getting promotional emails almost every day, trying to get me to buy something.

And then I use gmail for school and business...but it's also become more personal as friends contact me through gmail too. So, I don't really know where to draw the line anymore.

I like gmail, it suits all of my needs, but I still want to get around to forwarding a copy of all my mails to my desktop...I don't like to trust the web even if nothing serious has happened so far.

awarepoint 01-12-2009 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miinet11 (Post 6807)
I find gmail to be far superior to yahoo and hotmail, with a yahoo coming in a distant second. I just prefer gmail because of its better spam blocker, unlimited space, and gchat functions. Also, google docs are extremely helpful for a number of different purposes.

Yeah, it's the spam blocking that makes the decision for me...I rarely get any spam through gmail. I mean, I cannot remember the last time I had to delete spam messages that weren't in spambox already. That's the wall it should be, having real letters and not junk mail.

secprod 01-13-2009 10:21 AM

I switched from yahoo to gmail about 3 years ago and haven't looked back. I love the spam protection, and the unlimited space. Also, there have been a lot of great gadgets added to the google lab recently.

awnings 01-16-2009 01:11 PM

You're protected from spam, but what about your privacy? Doesn't gmail spider your inbox?

I'm not complaining, I have to rely on Gmail too for the space and dynamic conversation feature, but I don't rely on it without a worry at all. I try to keep very personal content on my separate email account.

hiointernat 01-26-2009 11:51 AM

I get the feeling that my gmail inbox is being tracked somehow too. How else could the ads on the right column be targeted to the exact content in the emails I'm looking through?

awnings 01-30-2009 10:49 AM

^Yeah, that's exactly what I mean! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

It could be that they're taking that information and only using it for purposes of generating ads...but I remember a recent whistleblower say how the previous administration tracked all files of communication...so I tend to think that the info was not just used in my inbox.

That won't stop me from using Gmail, however, at least not yet. I always try to keep sensitive information off the net or the airwaves anyway.

DominicXavier 02-12-2009 04:54 AM

I always prefer Gmail as bcoz it servers much better user-friendly interface and services than other two.

fast1 03-22-2009 01:27 PM

for me i guess using hotmail is the easiest. i havent actually tried the rest!http://photosnag.com/img/3347/n09x0302vnsn/clear.gif

emeraldprism 03-25-2009 12:06 PM

I use gmail, mainly for the search function. Because I have to sort through so much mail each day, it really helps to be able to search the right keywords. I also like the highlighting feature, where I can put a star or some other colored icon next to a certain conversation thread. The visual component serves a reminder of important letters to respond to.

lga1983 07-29-2009 05:27 AM

Hi!! I use Gmail for emails and hotmail for msn. I used to have yahoo too but I changed it for gmail.

esome 08-02-2009 07:10 PM

Big Gmail fan here too. The interface is not as intuitive as the other two, but for me, the speed is the biggest benefit and it blows away yahoo and hotmail IMO. When you get used to the idea of categories instead of folders, it actually becomes quite easy to use, but that's the biggest issue people run into from what I've seen.

rowenalee 08-03-2009 02:21 AM

I am using gmail for business purposes and yahoo for both business and friendly communication purposes so most of the time I used yahoo than gmail. I don't have hotmail...another points for yahoo then!

whitey99 08-08-2009 04:03 AM

I'm a gmail fan. Very easy to use

Penny Haynes 08-14-2009 02:36 PM

Of course Gmail!

Of course Gmail! Gmail is fast, easy to use, has got lots of features and attractive themes and above all my inbox is not bombarded with spam mails as it happens with Yahoo & Hotmail.

Phayze 08-16-2009 12:10 PM

I love Gmail. It's the most user-friendly, has a nice look, and, as Penny said, you're not constantly bombarded with spam and junk mail.

Google will take over the world one day! Mark my words. :D

Cas 08-16-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phayze (Post 10763)
I love Gmail. It's the most user-friendly, has a nice look, and, as Penny said, you're not constantly bombarded with spam and junk mail.

Google will take over the world one day! Mark my words. :D

Wanna bet it won't? :p

Live/Hotmail is owned by Microsoft and Microsoft's products, systems or such are present on more than, I guess, 70% of all computers in the world. And Microsoft advertises a lot about its applications, services and such, so...?
They didn't forbidden Microsoft to provide Internet Explorer with their Windows Seven-system because they had nothing else to do. :p
They did it because Microsoft abuses its browser-market share with it.

Bryan Dixon 09-17-2009 10:36 AM

I have been a proud user of Yahoo from quite a long time but somehow started using Gmail now and am very happy with gmail, its made life very simple and user friendly. I think Gmail is the best as it provides all the options that you look for and the add ons are especially amazing. Thanks