Computer Forums

Computer Forums (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/index.php)
-   Geek Stuff (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What forum software do u perfer? (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614)

!LLu$!0N 03-01-2006 01:52 AM

VBulletin is definately the Forum Software i would use, i also recommend it dearly. Basically because it's easier to use and efficient when managing the place. The buying cost depending on what license you go for, i would easily buy your own license which is now going for $160 without vat (I think they have a special offer on) so its just a one time fee of that, or you could have a yearly license of $90/80 can't remember, which is obviously a lot dearer in the long run.

QBall15j 03-01-2006 04:03 AM

I purchased a lifetime license quite a few years ago, I tried contacting them a little over a year ago now about adding the update service to my lifetime license and changing some information associated with my account. They never got back to me, even after multiple attempts! Lifetime license huh? Yeah sure!

gnthej 03-01-2006 08:18 AM

phpBB rocks. I have used it.

Durinthiam 03-01-2006 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnthej
phpBB rocks. I have used it.

Good show that man, a truely compelling statement of why phpBB rocks, i am overwhelmed with emotion and besotted with your excellent arguement .... :p

I have used hemoroid cream, it doesnt mean that it rocks :p

QBall15j: Their CS is normally quite good, try posting on the forums and see if you get a response

!LLu$!0N 03-01-2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QBall15j
I purchased a lifetime license quite a few years ago, I tried contacting them a little over a year ago now about adding the update service to my lifetime license and changing some information associated with my account. They never got back to me, even after multiple attempts! Lifetime license huh? Yeah sure!

did you pay for that? i can't remember if you had to or not. Something like $30 a year for updates etc...?

Pirlo 03-01-2006 11:26 AM

I'm using IPB 2.0 for my site www.4soccer.org

But I much prefer phpbb, it's much easier to add scripts.

job36_22 03-01-2006 11:35 AM

I would definately chose vBulletin if i could afford it unfortunately I can't so i had been useing myfreeforum/

Pirlo 03-01-2006 11:43 AM

Yeah it's so expensive. It's crazy to pay 300$ for a forum sowtware tougth!

DJL2K 03-01-2006 12:26 PM

I like Invision but they're usually for the bigger sites. I'm using MyBB for my new site WebTalk UK. I think vBulletin is good but it's too expensive for some teenage web designers like myself.

Soulwatcher 03-01-2006 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJL2K
I like Invision but they're usually for the bigger sites. I'm using MyBB for my new site WebTalk UK. I think vBulletin is good but it's too expensive for some teenage web designers like myself.

I don't think their is anything wrong with using free forum software. Matter of fact I have seen some really big forums that run on free forum software. www.pwctoday.com just switched to vBulletin but before that they were running phpBB and their member count is 16,000+. Free forums can go a long way, its the mods and admin that makes a good forum. Not the software. Anyway good luck on your website.:)