Computer Forums

Computer Forums (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/index.php)
-   Building Websites (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Google page rank (http://www.geekboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279)

biophase 01-27-2009 04:16 PM

The easiest way to get page rank increased is to get some real traffic to your site. Naturally it will get backlinks and your PR will slowly rise.

DominicXavier 02-12-2009 03:15 AM

PageRank is just the numerical value given by Google. Based on the importance of the webpage it may vary between 0 and 10. Google ranks the page based on the link popularity (Hypertext Matching Analysis) which includes internal link architecture and external link structure of the webpage.

HostColor 02-14-2009 07:52 AM

Hi,

Trust me PR 10 is 10 times better than PR 0 :) The only good thing about Google page rank is that it is not that important. If you have a start up website which produces quality content you get into Google search results very, very fast.

So my advice is not to implement any link building strategies only to get PR. It is all about content and real, targeted visitors.

stbnetbloc 02-18-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John (Post 6547)
GeekBoards was a PR4 (I think) back in 2006/2007. Some time after that it was a PR5 up until this past summer. During the summer, I think it was in June or July, GeekBoards became a PR6.

For GeekBoards, it took a bit more than 3 years to reach PR6.

So that means that after 1 year GeekBoards was at PR4? That's really good. Did you have to do a lot of promotion and marketing, or was most of it just traffic and people linking to the content?

John 02-18-2009 11:50 PM

I've owned GeekBoards for close to 3 years now. I haven't really focused on SEO/PR so do not know for certain what caused the PR to increase. If I'm remembering correctly, the original founder of the site ran it for 6 months or so before putting it up for sale.

I mainly focused on making sure that the site stayed online, was reasonably fast, spam deleted, etc.

trade-show-joe 02-25-2009 12:16 PM

bald SEO consultants

The only thing that will happen if you worry about PR is that you will lose your hair. That is why there are so many bald SEO consultants. I say don't worry about it. Worry about having the best content. :)

redspin17 02-25-2009 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John (Post 7295)
I've owned GeekBoards for close to 3 years now. I haven't really focused on SEO/PR so do not know for certain what caused the PR to increase. If I'm remembering correctly, the original founder of the site ran it for 6 months or so before putting it up for sale.

I mainly focused on making sure that the site stayed online, was reasonably fast, spam deleted, etc.

Cool, that's encouraging to read. I've been taking that approach with my blog, not focusing too much on seo and pr because it's the content that I need to spend my attention on. I guess it goes to show that "natural" rankings do happen, even though most people who promote seo are always trying to find ways to go beyond the "natural" increase.

trade-show-joe 02-26-2009 03:19 PM

hey Brian,
I see you are in Carp. I am in SB/goleta. Small world.:)
I think the key with PR if you ignore it will come... if you focus on it it will drive your crazy. And it takes time...

stbnetbloc 03-04-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John (Post 7295)

That's great to hear. I'm not going to stress about PR anymore, it's not worth the time really. All you can is what you can do, then you have to let go of the outcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trade-show-joe (Post 7381)
I think the key with PR if you ignore it will come... if you focus on it it will drive your crazy. And it takes time...

Ha, I hope that's true! It's like reverse psychology -- but it's got to be a much easier way to deal with.

trade-show-joe 03-05-2009 09:47 PM

hey Brett,
Actually, I think it is reverse psychology. It seems to me that most of the websites with high PR really don't care about it. So just don't care... and we'll see what happens! :)